Grand Enchantment Trail: Day 5 Mountainair

by Yeti
2 minutes read

Start: Mountainair, NM

Finish: Mountainair, NM

Miles: 0 / 92.83 total

Ascent: 0 feet

Zero day today as the rain from yesterday continued, finally breaking in the late afternoon.  There are reports of flooding around, and there is supposed to be another storm Friday, then more continuous rain Monday to Wednesday.

I don’t really know what to do here.  I can’t just wait in town here forever for conditions to best suit me.  I plan to go back to the trail tomorrow morning and see what it is like.  Otherwise I would be waiting another 2 days or so.  Things should drain out quickly, but I don’t know if it will be impassably muddy out there.  I will also have to cross or follow some washes, though they appear small and not draining much on the map, so I think they should be passable.  If it doesn’t go, I can turn around and walk back out.  Or if it goes but the rain keeps up and it is just a sufferfest, I will reach I-25 in 2-3 days where I could easily pull out.

I don’t know what is going to happen with this trail.  I might not be able to finish it if the unseasonal rain keeps up like this.  I will be hiking many miles in washes on this trip, and across burn areas which could slide.  If the trail becomes too dangerous or is just a battle, I would leave it for another day.

Tomorrow I should get a good idea of how this is going to go, and I’ll take it from there.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Exploring the World on Foot